As we enter the final month of the summer, you may be starting to turn your attention to your marketing from September to the end of the year. There’s no denying that things are going to get tougher for businesses everywhere when it comes to persuading your ideal customers to buy your product or service as we head into a recession. This is why you may find yourself wondering ‘how will I keep up my marketing in a recession?’.
We’re not ones to bury our heads in the sand and we want to help you be prepared too. Marketing is often one of the first functions businesses cut… but we know this isn’t the smartest move when you need to up your efforts to attract customers!
4 reasons you should keep up your marketing efforts for the rest of 2022
1. If you’re thinking about reducing your marketing efforts, you can bet a lot of your competitors will be thinking this too! If you decide to redouble your marketing efforts, you’ll find it a lot easier to stand out because there will be less competition for your prospects’ attention.
2. It’s a lot easier to keep going than to stop and start again from scratch. If you have to reduce some of your marketing efforts then make sure you’re eliminating the bits that aren’t working effectively and try hard to keep up the bits that do work. It’s time to play the long game.
3. Keep your brand front of mind for your customers. Even if they’re not ready to purchase or are slower to purchase, you’ll still be there when they’re ready and you’ll be the first brand they think of if you’ve stuck with your marketing.
4. Keep adding value and helping your prospects for free so they recognise you as the market leader for your product or service. When other brands stop marketing as heavily, there’s a great opportunity for you to step up and position yourself as the market leader.
How to keep marketing in a recession
Here are some ideas about how you can continue your marketing in a recession:
- Review your current marketing activities – which ones are working well and which ones aren’t so good? If you need to reduce the amount of resources you expend on marketing then it’s a good idea to start by getting rid of anything that doesn’t get you results.
- Redouble marketing efforts on activities you know work. This could be paying more attention to channels that generate your leads or maybe you get more engagement through a certain content format. Whatever it is, make sure you do more of it if possible.
- Always make sure you’re providing value for your audience. Share helpful tips, tricks and resources. Remember, your prospects will feel the recession too so anything you can do to help (for free) will position you as an expert in your space. So when your prospects are ready to buy, they’ll come straight to you.
Finally, don’t panic, and whatever you do, don’t stop marketing altogether!
A recession is always a challenge for small businesses but it doesn’t have to be a disaster. Focus on the things you can control (your marketing!) and you’ll be able to succeed despite external challenges.
We’re Freshbat – a strategic communications agency providing integrated marketing services to business leaders who embrace change and value marketing in a proactive and trustworthy environment.
Our goal is to give you more headspace, help you to make stuff happen and build better relationships by taking a fresh approach to marketing. We know you’re the kind of person who wants to be considered an inspiring and empowering leader for your business.
In order to be that way, you need to be in control of your marketing. The problem is you feel your marketing isn’t good enough, which in turn makes you feel confused and frustrated that you don’t have the resources, creativity or expertise to solve the issue.
We believe it’s just plain wrong that business leaders are tasked with keeping up with the rapidly changing marketing landscape on their own. That’s why we provide integrated marketing solutions through our worry-free marketing process.
Here’s how it works: we have an initial call to find out the things holding you back, we then create a bespoke strategy to reach your ideal clients and finally we implement your marketing plan for you so you can worry less and achieve more. We create tailored and integrated marketing solutions that bring order, strategy and results while having fun in the process (yes, it’s possible!).
Our core services include: 📈 Content marketing strategy 📱 Social media management 📧 Email marketing 👩💻 Blogging and web content
Contact us to see how we can help you take a fresh approach to marketing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your discovery call 📧